Okay so I haven’t had meat since Thursday and I’m still alive. This whole healthy eating thing is no piece of cake (mmm cake), let me tell you. I’ve been keeping notes every day to give you all an overview of how I’ve been doing.Knowing that I’m going to be held accountable here (and wanting to be honest about it) has definitely helped keep me from being bad. Here’s the last few days:
- Splash of Sun juice (oranges, carrots, ginger; note to self: go easy on the ginger next time. Whoa.)
- green tea w/ lemon
- fresh pineapple and watermelon as a snack. I could eat this all day.
- asparagus cooked in coconut oil w/ some garlic salt
- rice pilaf mixed w/ chick peas, black beans, taco seasoning and cayenne pepper
- mixed nuts
- smoothie (strawberries, coconut milk, and coconut water)
I did three sets of each move, in two groups of four (I usually do three groups of four, but I used heavier weights this time and got worn out)
- lawnmowers (a one-arm bent over row, essentially)
- Bulgarian squats w/ bicep curl
- upright rows
- headbangers (lying down tricep extension)
- squat w/ hammer curl
- plank crunch on ball
- tricep dips w/ feet on stability ball
- bonus: weighted lunges
This was the first day that I really doubted this whole juicing endeavor. I may have pleaded with the gods to just let me eat whatever I want and still be skinny and have unclogged arteries. But alas, that is not the way of things. I cheated a teeny tiny bit but not too bad. It was difficult for me to go out to eat and walk around the mall without stuffing my face with something unhealthy. Old habits die hard. But die they shall. I’ve gotta re-program my thinking a bit, I guess. It’s good to know what my triggers are at least.
- Celery Pear Cucumber juice (it yielded a lot of juice; drank about half)
- had a wrap at an awesome local restaurant Later Alligator. It had hummus, fontina cheese (cheated a bit there), black beans, rice, and chipotle mayo (another little cheat) and also came with a pickle spear and blue corn tortilla chips (cheat? probably)
- juice I found at Kroger, which seemed like the healthiest option to me and tasted pretty good (picture below)
- Greek salad (forgot it has feta on it, oops), black bean soup, and unsweetened Hibiscus tea from Panera (okay so we ate out twice in one night. Yes, we’re terrible)
- pineapple and watermelon as a snack again
- more mixed nuts
No workout, but a lot of walking around stores, which is better than nothing I suppose.
Let me tell you, I was feeling those small cheats later that night. Apparently if you stop eating dairy and then eat some cheese you get really bad gas (sorry, but I’m going to be honest in this blog. If fart and poop talk bothers you, you may as well go home now. Everyone poops, people. It’s not a big deal.) I’m surprised my boyfriend survived the night. Another interesting thing I noticed was that the Hibiscus tea, though unsweetened, tasted sweetened to me. My boyfriend took a taste and said he could definitely tell that it was unsweetened. I wonder if my taste buds will be more sensitive to sugar now? I imagine if I had taken a drink of his pop it would’ve seemed way too sugary to me.
- rice blend w/ quinoa, mixed with tri-bean blend, chick peas, and taco seasoning/cayenne pepper (this is seriously delicious)
- smoothie (same as Friday)
- vegan black bean burger, no bun
- more celery pear cucumber juice
- mixed nuts
- Wolfgang Puck Organic Hearty Garden Vegetable soup
- peppermint tea (my favorite!)
- water w/ lemon and mint
Again, three sets per move.
- chest press
- single leg hip raise
- mountain climbers
- single arm tricep kickback
- plie squat w/ lateral raises
- supermans w/ lat pull (light weight)
- squat jumps
- weighted step-ups into a back lunge
I’m still having cravings, but otherwise I’m feeling okay. I’m glad that I was able to mostly resist temptation on Saturday. Some places just trigger that sort of behavior in me more than others. I’m starting to recognize that and I need to learn to control it when it happens.
Fun fact: apparently if you drink beet juice, it turns your poop purple. Not gonna lie, it was pretty awesome. And this has me peeing even more than usual, which if you already know me, then you know that that’s incredible since I was already such a pee machine before. Good stuff.
I’ve been watching some interesting and informative documentaries on Netflix lately to help keep me motivated too: things like Hungry for Change, Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, etc. I’ve even ordered some of the books related to these movies, and added some to my Amazon wishlist, to help learn more and gather more recipes. I might even make some kind of vision board or something to help keep the motivation up. This isn’t just about my physical appearance, though that’s part of it; it’s about being healthier and feeling better.
I’ll try to keep strong and resist temptation. I’m definitely feeling better, so that makes it worth it. I’m still feeling less bloated and I feel better about myself overall. I took my measurements the other day, so I’ll take them again right before I get to the juice-only part, then again at the end. I don’t trust my scale; if I move it two inches it fluctuates by several pounds, so I never know which weight is accurate, so I’m sticking with measurements for now. I feel like that’s a better way of doing it anyways since a person’s weight naturally fluctuates so much anyways. I keep thinking to myself, I wonder if I’ll be able to continue this lifestyle when the reboot is over. I suppose I’ll figure that out as I go and see how things are at the end.
Thanks for reading! You guys are great motivation for me. Leave me a comment if you have any good juicing or vegetarian recipes. So far, the carrot apple lemon juice is still my favorite.